Move over wine…chocolate has a new friend!
We all have probably heard or experienced the latest Craft Beer craze. Well, it’s now gone to a whole new level! Wine and Food pairing classes may be easy to find, but thanks to 2 Chicks with Chocolate, you can now experience one of the first and only “Craft Beer and Chocolate Pairing” classes! That’s right…beer!
We recently teamed up with Yo Philly Foodies who were invited to check out 2 Chicks with Chocolate‘s brand new class and asked us to tag along. (To read their review: Click Here.) A little skeptical at first and feeling out of our element, we couldn’t help but be intrigued. An hour and a half later, we surprised ourselves at just how much we enjoyed the right beer and chocolate combination.
Instructor Tara Nurin lead us on a casual, fun, informative, and tasty tasting of 7 Beers and 7 Chocolates. Not only is Tara a beer expert and fun teacher…she is one busy lady as a journalist for USA Today and CEO of Ferment Your Event, among several other projects and positions.
Without giving away too much, here is a sneak peak of what we learned in Beer and Chocolate Class:
- The Three C’s of Pairing: COMPARE, CONTRAST, CLEANSE
- Beer Tasting Vocabulary includes: malty, grainy, roasty, citrusy, piney, earthy, spicy, yeasty, etc. (similarities to wine!)
- 4 steps to chocolate tasting: snap, sniff, melt, chew
- Some nibbles of dark chocolate with sips of Rogue Chocolate Stout are a chocolate lover’s dream
- Rosemary Lemon Caramel and Dogfish Head’s Midas Touch are a perfect example of opposite’s attract
2 Chicks with Chocolate is a chocolate boutique located in South River, NJ, just a little over an hour from Philly. With another shop in Metuchen and 2 more opening in Jersey very soon, their chocolate fans are obviously growing in numbers. Their chocolate is not only rich and yummy, but they are works of art…almost too pretty to eat! Almost. 😉 They also come in a variety of flavors, from fruity to creamy to spicy to just plain fun and funky. The shop offers other sweet treats and unique gift ideas as well. Their Cocoa 101 Class is very popular and their new Craft Beer and Chocolate Pairing Class is quickly catching the attention of many. It would be no surprise if others start to soon imitate the pairings class. If you’re anywhere near South River, NJ, you’ll want to make sure to check out the original pioneers of the Beer and Chocolate pairings…2 Chicks with Chocolate. Classes take place on Wednesday evenings and tickets sell for $55.
VINO & VINTAGE fans! If you’d like to check out this class, 2 Chicks is extending a very special offer to our readers. Mention our site and you can get tickets for a very low price of $15! Delicious beers and chocolate for fifteen bucks?! Now that’s a deal! Cheers!
- Craft Beer and Food Pairing Specifics – Why Do Craft Beer and Food Work So Well Together? (bierbattered.com)
- Craft Beer Calorie Calculator (phillymag.com)
- First Prost; Collaborative Spirit of the Craft Beer Community (thelawofbeer.wordpress.com)
- Top Places to Get a Craft Beer (tapthebeer.wordpress.com)